Emotional Regulation Therapy (ERT) is a present focused psychotherapy that was born out of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and integrates components of cognitive, and mindfulness-based approaches.
What Is Emotional Regulation?
Emotional regulation is the ability to manage your emotional responses. We often cannot control the things that life throws our way, but we can learn to control our response. A person who is able to take charge of their emotions instead of allowing their emotions to take over is practicing emotional regulation.
What It Means to Self-regulate Your Emotions
It does not mean you are avoiding negative emotions or negative feelings. You’re simply noticing and monitoring your feelings. That way you are able to adjust and respond effectively in different situations. Essentially, emotional regulation allows you to keep your emotions in check.
Understanding Our Emotions
Emotions are normal and everyone experiences them. Sometimes, when we have had distressing experiences happen, we emotionally react to situations where we feel threatened.
The distress can be very intense and it’s difficult to manage ourselves when things are feeling so overwhelming.
Learning Emotion Regulation skills helps us to manage the way we feel and cope with situations.
Emotions, thoughts and how we respond are all linked and become a vicious cycle. Changing one part of the cycle will help improve the situation and help you feel better.
Why use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy CBT & Hypnotherapy Together?
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and hypnotherapy are both effective treatments for anxiety disorders, depression, emotional regulation, and phobias. When used together, CBT and hypnotherapy enhance the effectiveness of each other and lead to better outcomes.
When used together, hypnotherapy helps clients explore the underlying emotions and beliefs contributing to their negative thought patterns and behaviors. This helps clients to gain a deeper understanding of what triggers their strong emotions and develop more effective coping strategies.
The combination of these two therapies can lead to more profound and long-lasting changes.
CBT + Hypnotherapy for Rapid Relief
Overall, the combination of CBT and hypnotherapy is a powerful tool for addressing a wide range of mental health conditions. However, it’s essential to work with a qualified and experienced therapist who can tailor the treatment approach to your individual needs and preferences.
How Does Hypnotherapy Help Improve Emotional Regulation?
Hypnotherapy is effective in assisting individuals regulate theiremotions in the following ways:
- Developing coping strategies: Hypnotherapy helps clients develop coping strategies for managing their emotions. Learning new ways of thinking and behaving that aid them in regulating their emotions and coping with challenging situations.
- Addressing underlying issues: Hypnotherapy addresses underlying psychological issues that are contributing to emotional dysregulation. This includes unresolved trauma, negative self-talk, or limiting beliefs.
- Relaxation and stress reduction: Hypnotherapy can induces a state of deep relaxation, which reduces stress and anxiety. This can, in turn, improves emotional regulation by reducing the intensity of emotional reactions.
- Self-awareness and mindfulness: Hypnoherapy helps individuals to develop self-awareness and mindfulness, which are key components of emotional regulation. By becoming more aware of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, individuals can learn to identify and regulate their emotional responses.
Overall, hypno-psychotherapy can be a useful tool for individuals who struggle with emotional regulation. Individuals develop new coping strategies, address underlying issues, reduce stress and anxiety, and cultivate self-awareness and mindfulness. All of which can contribute to improved emotional regulation.
Benefits of Hypnotherapy for Achieving Emotional Regulation
Hypnotherapy can be a helpful tool to address and resolve emotional difficulties. Here are some of the main benefits of hypnotherapy for emotional regulation:
1. Promoting self-awareness: One of the primary goals of hypnotherapy is to help clients become more self-aware of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. By becoming more self-aware, clients s can better understand the underlying causes of their emotional difficulties, which can help them regulate their emotions more effectively.
2. Identifying and addressing negative thought patterns: Hypnotherapy helps clients to identify negative thought patterns that contribute to emotional dysregulation, such as self-doubt, self-criticism, or negative self-talk. By addressing these negative thought patterns, clients learn to regulate their emotions more effectively.
3. Developing coping strategies: Hypnotherapy assists individuals to develop coping strategies to manage difficult emotions, such as stress, anxiety, and depression. This can include relaxation techniques, visualization, and other strategies that can help clients to feel more in control of their emotions.
4. Resolving past traumas: Hypnotherapy can address and resolve past traumas, which often contribute to emotional dysregulation. By processing and resolving past traumas, individuals can experience greater emotional stability and resilience.
5. Enhancing self-esteem: Hypnotherapy helps clients develop greater self-esteem and self-confidence, which can contribute to emotional regulation. By developing a more positive self-image and a greater sense of self-worth, clients are able to better cope with difficult emotions.
Overall, hypnotherapy is be an effective tool for emotional regulation, as it helps clients become more self-aware, develop coping strategies, and address underlying psychological issues that may be contributing to emotional difficulties.
Therapy for Emotional Regulation
It is important to note that hypno-psychotherapy should only be administered by a licensed and trained therapist. Speak with Danielle at Adelaide Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to discuss an effective approach of CBT and hypnotherapy for Emotional Regulation Therapy ERT.
Sessions are offered in-person for those living in Adelaide or Online if preferred. Therapy includes enhanced Cognitive Behavioural Therapy eCBT, Psychotherapy and Hypnotherapy helping important messages hit home within the subconscious mind, allowing for positive shifts to take place.
CBT & HYPNOTHERAPY WITH DANIELLE
Danielle is dedicated to empowering clients to restore a natural state of calm, balance and wellness within themselves.
By adopting a person centred approach Danielle guides each client on their own highly personal healing journey.
SESSIONS ARE HELD:
In her comfortable and calming treatment room conveniently located in Payneham, South Australia with access to off-street parking.
Alternatively clients can choose to have sessions on Zoom in the comfort of their own home.